Sunday, April 02, 2006

I got sprung!

Around suppertime last night I wound up falling asleep watching The Three Amigos on cable and woke up at like 11. This meant not only was it too late to go get a movie, it meant I had successfully fucked up my sleep patterns.

Sure enough, 6 am rolls around and I'm still tossing and turning trying desperately to get some much needed sleep. I'm not sure when I actually did fall asleep, but I know it was late/early.

When I pulled myself out of bed at 2 I noticed something very alarming. While my alarm clock and CD player were showing 1:54 pm, my laptop and the digital cable guide were showing that it was almost 3. Then it hits me, Daylight Savings Time. The clocks got sprung ahead and I've wasted even more of my day than I thought, a day I could have spent watching The Three Amigos.

But what gets me on this is, what if I didn't have an internet connection or digital cable. I wouldn't know. I actually had to goto the time setting on my phone and restart it to get it to show the new time. Without all these technical advancements I would have operated on this Sunday without realizing that I had lost the hour, which I'm sure could have proved disasterous when I went to my exam tomorrow.

The media just didn't remind people this year. I don't get it. They're so focused on sensational news to grab our attention that Nancy Grace can't take the 10 seconds of her "someone might have done something to someone, but I'm going to crucify them" time to remind the world that the time is changing this weekend, I guess she knew she'd be losing an hour.

I guess they've realized what The Daily Show has known for so long, the televised news is meant for entertainment, if people these days want real information they'll read a blog.

No comments: