Sunday, September 17, 2006

It was a dark and stormy night...

Apparently, stories don't start like that anymore.

Growing up I was always really in to Halloween. It shared the top spot on my favorite holidays list with Christmas my whole life, and if I got presents instead of just candy on Halloween, I would have said "Santa who?"

Something I used to do when I was younger was spend the two full months leading up to Halloween prepping for that one night. I would spend that time watching all kinds of scary movies, reading scary books, and painstakingly narrowing down costume options. I would even make family members help me decorate the house for Halloween the first day of October.

Sadly, over the last few years the Halloween of my youth has been replaced by me scrambling to find a costume at the last minute and my autumns have been filled with me studying and working rather than me getting psyched for Halloween.

I decided that this year I won't let another autumn fall to the wayside. This was brought on by the fact that I'm not in school this year, and also the fact that there's a Friday the 13th in October, something I always thought made the month all the creepier. I'm going to get psyched for Halloween the good old fashioned way. Spending the next month and a half trying to scare the bejesus out of myself.

I've tentatively decided on a costume, but I'm still open to suggestions as "Maverick from Top Gun" doesn't fit in with the theme I've set for myself of having an old school Halloween. So please feel free to leave a comment suggesting a better costume.

I'm also going to make weekly updates on my quest for a classic Halloween and also making some homework for you. I'm going to make recommendations of movies, books, and songs that should get you all in the Halloween spirit. There might even be a full Halloween mix by the time it's all done.

Here is this week's list

Watch:
The Wolf Man - Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolf Man is pure classic. This is the way horror movies are supposed to be complete with the dry ice fog and creepy swamp with a werewolf running around.
Monster Squad - Probably my favorite movie when I was a kid. It's about a bunch of kids who have to save the world when Dracula and the other Universal Monsters show up and try to eff shit up. It's just fun.

Read:
Haunted Shores by Dale Jarvis - the Haunted Hike guy compiled a collection of Newfoundland ghost stories. Most of them take place in St John's and theres some pretty creepy stuff. Make sure to read "A Matter of Murder" about the headless ghost of Queen's Road.

Hear:
Lucky Day in Hell - The Eels. This was a song that made it into a lot of those high school-college horror movies in the late 90's. It's just got a really eerie sound to it.
Little Red Riding Hood - Bowling for Soup. This is a cover of a song by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs, the same guys who brought the world "Wooly Bully". Its basically the wolf hitting on Red. It was the opening to the movie "Cursed" in a boardwalk scene that was a lot like the opening to "The Lost Boys" which you should also watch. I like the Bowling for Soup version just because its got a fuller sound, but Sam the Sham's is probably creepier.

4 comments:

Dennis said...

Dude, you can't say Maverick isn't old school. It's somewhat cliche, but that's due to its old-schoolness! (And awesomeness.)

Mike said...

Dude, I meant not "old school halloween" as in not creepy. Its very much an awesome costume, and I promised Mercer that if I do it I will sing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" to a random girl on George Street. You don't get much awesomer than that.

Mercerch said...

Dude's.... Goose post death would be way creepier of a costume!

Unknown said...

OK i just watched TG again and i don't think the movie has aged well ...In fact i saw a lot of gayness (the shower sceen)..... so you want to dress up as a gay crazy man .... are you trying to tell us something Hickey? Next you'll be impressing upon us the evils of psyhciatry and the value of scientolgogy

Myself in part thanks to your help i'm dressing up as a terrorist for Halloween.